Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Andy C Knight
Contributing MemberPosts: 609
Like?
Re: Why EVF will never replace OVF for me
In reply to canonagain123, 6 months ago

canonagain123 wrote:

Because the LCD kills my nightvision,

Put some red plastic film over the LCD. The red sensitive receptors in our eyes can be dazzled - without loosing dark adaptation, as they are not used in low light!

[Snip...] and I'm not ready to replace my eyeballs with a tiny LCD screen.

Agreed...

[snip...] I just did some testing. I closed my eyes and let them adapt for a few minutes (after making the room extremely dark, but leaving enough light for my test.  could easily discern the white leg of the clothes drier I was looking at with my bare eyes. I could barely see it through the OVF, and not at all through the eVF (LV)...

I have a GH1 and several Canon Rebels. When my eyes are fully dark adapted (takes a minimum of 30 mins) I can easily see the brighter stars through the Canons.  - I can even see the brighter stars through my Compact OVF (Canon a620). - But not through the GH1 EVF, nothing but a black screen.

The only way I can see anything on the LCD/EVF is to use 5 or 10x magnification. It seems that at 1x, pixels are thrown away. (Perhaps 1 in 4 in both directions? - So maybe only a 1 in 16 chance of seeing a bright star!)

[snip...] As soon as I checked the LCD preview, I went practically blind because I lost my night vision. I could see everything on the screen but hardly anything around me where it was a million times darker.

The other method I often use, is to keep my right (telescope) eye shut when I look at the LCD.

Now how could an EVF help me, even if it didn't kill my nightvision?

One thing I find the EVF/LCD invaluable for, is to focus the image using liveview with 10x mag. Even with 5-10x focus magnifiers, I often found OVF's are a tiny fraction out of perfect alignment. I guess with AF, they were never designed to be used that way these days.

So really I need both!

Regards

Andy.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WowNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow