How many of you use lens hoods?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
anisah
Regular MemberPosts: 218Gear list
Like?
Re: How many of you use lens hoods?
In reply to mike, 9 months ago

Like most responders I use them nearly all the time. Outdoors it is 100% during daylight hours, though, ocasionally, after dark, if using a flash, I will not use them.

Indoors it is a different matter, and they are seldom used. Often, if I am using a flash a hood is quite inapproriate, and also if I am doing close-up work in my mini-studio a hood is not necessary.

The hood, as many others have said, does provide a good level of protection for an expensive lens - its cheaper to replace the hood than the lens! Additionally as, living in a relatively northern position, many pictures are take with the sun from south east to south west, and the hood does help a lot with flare. Also all my expensive lens have good quality multicoated UV filters as additional protection. Such filters do not tend to impact the IQ so are a sound investment.

anisah's gear list:anisah's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow