Which Compact is best For Low Light?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
BarnET
Senior MemberPosts: 1,843Gear list
Like?
Re: Which Compact is best For Low Light?
In reply to OneDullGuy, 11 months ago

OneDullGuy wrote:

Hi,

I've been really happy with my Canon SX110 for some years now but I'm finding that it';s struggling to shoot in low light conditions. My son is a competitive swimmer and the pools aren't the best lit areas around, so I'm looking at moving to another camera but one that can shoot well with a long zoom (I'll be sitting in the stands).

Long zoom compacts are in general really bad in low light. Small sensors and dim lenses do not work in their favour. There are a couple of exceptions i will mention below

I realise that a DSLR is the answer but I'm also looking at having it to travel with, so something that can fit in my pocket would be great.

Mirrorless are smaller and have similar sized sensors. They produce roughly the same results in low light.

Oh, and I've come across a lot of cameras in the past that have shocking shutter lag. I think that technology has moved on now so it isn't such a problem, but I would like to have it where the shutter opens when I press the release button, rather than a couple of seconds later.

That has been a main problem with cheap compacts. At your budget we can get arround that easily

I have a budget of up to £300 (I know, not a lot) but I'm hoping to get a good deal in the sales.

No it's not a lot and probably not enough. I checked the prices at amazon.co.uk for your reference

Any advice would be great.

well good luck

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow