D7100 zoom on Movie Mode changing aperture, but not really???

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TIA NOW
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
D7100 zoom on Movie Mode changing aperture, but not really???
10 months ago

Is anyone else seeing this odd behavior?

When in Movie Mode, manual 1080p24 if I set the kit 18-140 lens on 5.6, enter movie mode, and then zoom in or out on the lens, the aperture display on the screen changes up or down depending upon if I'm zooming in or out.  The picture doesn't change, and if I go out and back into movie mode it displays once again the original 5.6 (even if it showed f9 when I left movie mode).

It's like the behavior of when your camera notches down the aperture out of necessity when you zoom in on a variable speed lens, but that's not what it's doing.  If I start fully zoomed out (18mm) at f5.6 (a speed the lens can use at all focal lengths) and zoom in to 140mm the aperture goes to f9, but the screen and the recording doesn't change. Conversely if I enter live mode zoomed in at 5.6 and zoom all the way out it changes the aperture to 3.5.  Strange that after fixing the movie mode aperture unpleasantness on the D7000, the d7100 is doing the similarly odd (and incorrect) behavior on a zoom...  ??????

I have updated to the newest firmware 1.01.

The good news is that this seems to be nothing more than a display bug that doesn't change the actual recording.  I tried it on my second d7100 and it does the same behavior, and it doesn't do it on my other zoom lens (Sigma 70-200) but I wonder if because that is a fixed speed lens it's not happening to it...  or...

Do you think this is a faulty lens?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow