A breakthrough in K-3 images in shade ......

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Chris Mak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,270
Like?
Re: A breakthrough in K-3 images in shade ......
In reply to KL Matt, 10 months ago

KL Matt wrote:

Reality actually will vary.The K5II has .7 stops more DR than the K3,

Yes, in other words very nearly double the dynamic range of the K3. That is *very* significant in my opnion.

and both are well over the DR that one is likely to run into in any scene that isn't artificially set up to induce a DR failure.

I have frequently run up against DR limits with every digital camera I've ever shot including my k5, although much less often with that camera than previous models.

The odds of seeing any effective difference in DR between these two cameras is so slight as to be a non existent issue.

If you can measure it, and it's more than a 50% difference, I guarantee you can see it. Very easy to demonstrate. Someone with both cams should.

I would add that what is so great about the K5IIs, is the ability to work on the Raw files.

I always shoot raw (in CO1), and can easily manipulate the tonal curve to give exactly the right amount of shadow detail, brightness in the highlights/midtones. Once you get the hang of it, it's quick, easy and gives great natural looking results with the K5IIs. I would not want to sacrifice the ability to develop the Raws to my own liking without any drawbacks anymore. Is the K3 just as well suited to allow for that I would like to know, especially since there's less DR to start with. As you say (and which is an eternal weak spot in digital photography opposed top film) even with the capabilities of the K5, you still run into the limits of the DR quite easily, blowing highlights or ending up with clipped blacks to start with. The K5IIs is still amazing in its ability to bring back clipped shadows detail.

Chris

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow