Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marty4650
Forum ProPosts: 10,031Gear list
Like?
How is this possible?
11 months ago

There are four M4/3 cameras on Dpreview's top ten "Most Popular Cameras" list. I assume this still means "most hits" for product information on this site.

This list is usually dominated by the best selling or most recent camera introductions.

I wonder why M4/3 are so popular to read about (40% of the top ten here), but sell in far smaller quantities (perhaps 3% of the overall market, and 10% of the ILC market.)

This is especially interesting when you consider how LONG they stay on this list, as compared with some more recent DSLRs and compact cameras. The EM5 was announced almost two full years ago!

Also interesting is how six of the top ten cameras are MILC cameras (60%), while according to the latest CIPA Jan-Nov 2013 numbers, it only enjoys a 5% market share. (2,908,233 shipped out of 57,818,633 total units.)

I suppose the only conclusion you can draw from this is that most of the readers here like to read about these cameras, but they continue to buy something else.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow