A breakthrough in K-3 images in shade ......

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
emem
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,320Gear list
Like?
A breakthrough in K-3 images in shade ......
7 months ago

I need to do a great deal more experimentation and testing of this BUT - I'm extremely pleased to say, and admit, that my problems with loss of detail in whites when shooting in shade have indeed been with the settings in my camera. In the Custom Image setting, I have my camera set to "Bright". Within that setting are sub-settings for High/Low Key Adjust and Contrast Highlight Adjust and Shadow Adjust. These fine adjustments are not always visible but have to be "dialled up" - somehow they were all wrong. Whether I've inadvertently moved these settings around or some of the various people who have "played" with the camera since I got it have fiddled with them, I honestly don't know. But it seems to be the answer I've been looking for. Some of you have been patient with my rants, some less so. I do recall someone suggesting I check the Custom Image setting - or at least change it. Andrew Waldram was the one who set a little bell ringing when he mentioned my image(s) of the cockatoo feathers appeared to have the highlights clipped. Thank you Andrew. That sent me searching through the menus and adjustments, looking for anything that might "unclip" the highlights. David T was also helpful with suggestions and posting his very nice rabbit shot.

So here are two images - the proof of the pudding you might say .... you can all start kicking me now.

I've resized these images because you really don't need to see the original to appreciate the detail retention.

OOC Image (I still have to underexpose by a good stop or more to retain the detail)

Original (resized)

Processed image - to retain detail.

PP'd in ACDsee Pro 6 (as always)

There you have it. I still have a lot of testing ahead of me until I gat a complete handle on this. For instance, after taking a few images of the cat like this, a shot of general scenery, trees etc was decidedy dark and dull, so I need  to find the balance with this. Maybe I can utilise one of the user settings for light or white subjects in shade. But I certainly see a light at the end of my K-3 tunnel.

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow