Is there an SLR with no viewfinder blackout?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
karl eller
Regular MemberPosts: 233Gear list
Like?
Re: Is there an SLR with no viewfinder blackout?
In reply to PhotomuseX, 7 months ago

PhotomuseX wrote:

Hi there, I am a professional photog looking to further a personal project involving long exposures. I would like to track my subject throughout the exposure. Currently, viewfinder blackout does not allow me to maintain visual contact with my subject as I expose for 1 second or longer.

Does anyone know of an SLR that does not have any viewfinder blackout? I would greatly appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you!

An SLR? No, because that's how an SLR works: When not taking an exposure, light comes in through the lens, bounces off some mirrors and out the viewfinder. When taking an exposure, mirror flips up and light goes on to the film/sensor instead, and there's nothing showing in the viewfinder.

What you need is something that has an Electronic Viewfinder that will remain active during the exposure, so you probably need to look at some of the Mirrorless ILCs.

karl eller's gear list:karl eller's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow