A couple of "twins with grandpa" shots from an amateur - C&C please!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joe Kundlak
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
A couple of "twins with grandpa" shots from an amateur - C&C please!
7 months ago

Hi folks!

Registered on DPreview a few days ago (though I am aware of the site for quite some time now). Until now I took pictures from time to time with my wife's Nikon D40 and its original 18-55 kit lens and I was satisfied of course - compared to the few P&S cameras I used before the image quality was superb and I was able to manually adjust settings etc.

Last year my wife got a 50mm/1.8G and before that also the SB-600 flash, which I both suggested based on reviews and forum talks, and they are both superb in terms of upgrades over the stock offering! Finally after that I started diving into photography more. She, having an education for that, would like to start shooting portraits and families in the near future, but does not speak english and local slovak sources are rare, so I would act as a sort of a henchman and I want to get educated enough by that time to be able to help out. I started searching around for tutorials, discussions, presentations and videos on various beginner photography subjects, which in turn prompted me to try our camera out some more and with fresh knowledge.

Looking back at many of my previous shots they of course suffer from the obvious exposition defects as well as compositional issues, which I now always try to remedy as best as I can whilst learning.

The following shots were done last Saturday at my parents', where my twins played with their grandpa. Shooting kids is always difficult and it taxes your autofocus system quite a bit - that is why I had only a few good shots when they were driving their plastic motorcycles around inside (so I did not upload any). Rather than that I settled for pictures with them playing balls, as this offered the opportunity to frame their profiles and faces as they waited for the balls to arrive and also shows their joy and happiness without the interference of the lens in their face.

EDIT: I used the external SB-600 flash and bounced off the ceiling and/or the wall for softness.

All images are straight from the camera, I did not do any PP - firstly, because I shot JPEG and not RAW and secondly, this should not be an exercise in finishing the photos, but rather in composition (however I welcome also C&C on PP and balancing).

Therefore please share your comments and critique so that I can improve!

Thx!

Joe

1. I did not even realize how nice the balls looked when frozen in action

2. This is an unexpected shot as I was lying on the floor at one side and tried to shoot under a piano, so could not fully see what was framed.

3. Nice bokeh, even if tilting a bit.

4. This one I was able to frame a bit, so that her background is not busy.

5. Had I used a higher Aperture, both would be in focus...

6. Again, a bit of framing was possible.

7. My dad liked this one a lot - and I do as well. He is an opera singer btw

8. She is not in full focus, but this one turned out nice anyway.

Joe Kundlak's gear list:Joe Kundlak's gear list
Canon PowerShot A4000 IS Nikon D40 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Nikon D40
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow