How to shoot with manual lenses on the A7/r?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
DWMurf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Re: Native Sony flashes work exceptionally well with manual-focus (no-electronics) lenses on A7
In reply to djp58, 11 months ago

djp58 wrote:

DWMurf wrote:

Miki Nemeth wrote:

Hi David,

I went even further. Another friend photographer here on the forum wrote me that the A7 AUTO (exposure) mode works surprisingly well. I can confirm that AUTO mode works very well with manual-focus lenses along with native Sony flashes like the F20M, too. I never considered AUTO mode on any camera as a serious option. But, this weekend I gave my A7 to a friend, who had never heard of aperture, shutter speed, ISO before. I showed him how to use the manual focus ring on the Olympus OM 55mm/f1.2 lens, I set the aperture to 5.6 on the lens, the camera mode dial to AUTO, ISO to Auto ISO with the F20M flash on. With these settings he took a number of excellent shots outdoor and indoor alike. He told me that it was really fun how focus peaking helped him to make sharp images.

The lesson learned: even a total beginner can take excellent pictures with old/legacy manual focus lenses with Sony cameras.

Miki

Hi Miki,

That is an amazing story to tell here and valuable experience we can all learn from. These are amazing discoveries I haven't heard discussed here at all.

Are we the only ones reading this? I'm surprised no one else is responding here.

I've discovered what I know about this purely by accident, by forgetting to take my camera out Auto mode when mounting a manual lens and realizing I was getting fine photos anyway.

I also like using the multiple shot overlay modes in low light like Hand Held Twilight and Anti-Motion Blur. And then there is HDR as well.

I sometimes use Clear Image Zoom which adds some zoom to my fixed focal length lenses.

-- hide signature --

David

Interesting. I've never heard of anyone complaining about not being able to use the Auto or Scene functions with a manual lens. I've been shooting E-Mount for 3 years, mostly with legacy lenses, and have used Auto and Scene modes frequently (though not exclusively). Just have to remember (and remind others who use your camera), that it is Auto EXCEPT you still have to manually set aperture on lens and manually focus;-)

David

Maybe for the ones in the know, like yourself, this is old hat and nothing worth discussing, but it seems that some newcomers are struggling with their legacy lenses not realizing that they haven't lost all the automation in their modern Sony cameras.

I've been using a NEX for less than a year and have been a reader here since then, but I learned this by accident while using my new camera with legacy lenses.

-- hide signature --

David

DWMurf's gear list:DWMurf's gear list
Corel PaintShop Pro X4 Utltimate Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow