Keeper rate by camera (K-7, K-5, K-5IIs)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
marigold
Regular MemberPosts: 276Gear list
Like?
Keeper rate by camera (K-7, K-5, K-5IIs)
10 months ago

I am one of the rare photographers that exclusively uses Pentax for sports.

I recently upgraded from the K-5 to the K-5 IIs.  I felt like the camera focus was greatly improved, but I wanted to find out if I could quantify the improvement.  So I went back to collect some stats on the High School sporting events I've shot and compare the different cameras.

Subtracting the first image number from the last image number (plus 1) for each event gives me the number of actuations.  The number of "keepers" is the number of images from each event after I've deleted the images with timing, focus, and composition problems.  Comparing these two numbers will give me the value for the percentage of keepers.

So far, I have used the K-5IIs at six events with an average keeper rate of 78.9%

The previous 9 events I shot with the K-5 had a keeper rate of 58.5%

Same photographer, same lens, similar indoor venues...  Just a new camera body.

This is a significant improvement!

And going back two years to the K-7?   I calculate a keeper rate of 55.7%.  This number did not differ from the K-5 by much, but that may be explained by applying a more stringent criteria for keepers since the K-5 definitely performed better than the K-7, especially in low light.

So I am happy to report that the Pentax K-5 IIs is working very well for me.

Eric

marigold's gear list:marigold's gear list
Pentax K-5
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow