Started 11 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jfoley
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Olympus OM-D E-M1 a great camera for learning essentials of photography
11 months ago

I'm a brand new member of the DP Review forums, and I just wanted to share my experiences with the Olympus OM-D E-M1.

First of all, I am quite new to photography.  Sure, I've been taking snapshots for a long time, but mostly I just took point-and-shoot images for family vacations and so on.  But in the last year or so, I caught the "photo bug" and started down the path of learning a bit more about photography.
I started out with a very nice Canon SL1 -- a very good, lightweight, and easy to learn DSLR with a fairly basic APS-C sensor.  I liked that camera pretty well, and enjoyed the images I got out of it.
But then I saw the Olympus OM-D E-M1 in a local camera shop, and fell in love.  It's such a great handling camera, and it had some many features that helped me understand photography better.  I especially love the outstanding WYSIWYG EVF, which allows me to really *nail* an exposure, and really understand how changes in aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc., control the final image.  It's just so intuitive now, and my photography has greatly improved in a very short amount of time.

Furthermore, the camera and lenses (I bought the Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 PRO zoom; 17 mm, 45 mm and 60 mm primes; and the 40-150 and 75-300 zooms) are incredibly high quality, and can easily fit into my shoulder bag.  That means I always have my camera, and at least 1-2 good lenses, with me at all times, dramatically increasing my ability to shoot more, and learn more about photography.

Moreover, the JPEG engine of the Olympus camera is simply amazing.  While I "know" I should be shooting RAW (and I often do), the JPEGs coming right out of the camera are amazing, and are not limited by my relatively poor skills with Aperture and Lightroom.  While my photos do benefit from some editing (either RAW of JPEG), the OOC JPEGs are often so good, I can concentrate more on learning to shoot, and less time fiddling with the images in PP.

Compared to the Canon system, which was great, I have to say that the Olympus is helping me become a better photographer, mainly because of the intuitive (to me) interface and controls, the excellent EVF that shows you what the capture *really* is going to look like (and is, therefore, better than an OVF in that regard -- at least to me), and the amazing collection of excellent, lightweight lenses available.

So, that's my story.  I gave the Canon SL1 to my wife, and she loves it.  And I am greatly enjoying the OM-1.

For fun, I'm attaching some photos (smaller JPEGs, not full sized) from this camera that I took in the last few weeks (in San Diego area, also in London).

Again, I am just a newbie, so my photos aren't very good yet.  But I'm learning, which is the fun part!

Thanks for reading!

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Canon EOS 100D (EOS Rebel SL1) Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow