Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cynthiabbb
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
Is it me or my new Oly 12-40?
11 months ago

I was so excited to finally get an Oly 12-40mm lens last week. I took it out yesterday expecting great results but I'm really disappointed. I would love to get feedback here from others. Is it me? I'm a fairly experienced photographer. I've had the OMD-EM-5 for about a year and have been pleased with it. I like my 14-150, but I wanted wider and faster so I chose the 12-40.

I'm attaching a few pictures. I thought they looked great on my LCD, but when I uploaded them I thought the ones with any depth of field looked very soft from about halfway out (I hope I'm explaining what I mean). A picture speaks a thousand words... These are all unedited, converted from raw to jpg.

1st photo: f/4.0, focus is on the right-most post; 12mm, 1/4000 sec. This one also has more curvature along the horizon than I expected to see.

2nd photo: f/8.p, focus is on the shoreline between the silver boat & the vertical pipe on the ground; 12mm, 1/1250 sec.

3rd photo: f/5.6, focus is on one of the upright posts (not sure which one, but probably the 3rd from the left); 23mm, 1/800 sec.

4th photo: f/5.6, focus is on the tip of the red boat; 24mm, 1/2500 sec.

5th photo (this one looks fine to me, but there's very little DoF): f/8; 29mm, 1/800. Photos I've taken like this - with the subject-matter pretty much on a similar plane look great. But I'm a landscape photographer! I crave good DoF and I don't see it with my copy of this lens.

Any thoughts/comments truly appreciated. Thank you!!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow