Online references for learning about color and about using the curves tool?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andrewteee
Senior MemberPosts: 2,341Gear list
Like?
Online references for learning about color and about using the curves tool?
6 months ago

I am in the process of learning as much as I can about color in digital photography and also about using the curves tool and the many forms it takes. I tend to prefer B&W and I've been focused on that the past few years, but this year I decided to finally understand color and how to get accurate color as a base for further post processing.

So far I've been learning how to use a gray card to get the correct white balance, and realizing the importance to color that has. And I've been learning how to use black and white points to set initial curve adjustments, with further adjustments from there. But I feel that I still have so much to learn!

Any recommendations for online references is appreciated, or even book recommendations.

I use Iridient Developer for all of my post processing. I have Lightroom, but I've not used it in a very long time.

FWIW my B&W work has been focused on a "matte" look to the images, which I really like and I think it complements my primary subject matter. But in addition to the color education this year I'm also focused on learning how to get good "straight" B&W images, meaning no fancy treatments or unique looks, just solid B&W conversions. Basically, 2014 is my year to really further my post processing education. I feel that I need to take a step back and relearn or learn some fundamentals. I then hope to apply that information to  my projects and gain more control over what I'd like to create.

Thanks!

Andrewteee's gear list:Andrewteee's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Pentax K-3 HD Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow