Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David Rosser
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,333Gear list
Like?
X20 lens distortion or lack of it.
11 months ago

I have noticed that RAW .RAF files processed in Lightroom 5.3 and in Capture One 7 are nice and free of optical distortion despite neither program containing specific lens correction data for the X20. However if I open the same file in RawDigger I see some quite severe barrel distortion. I am puzzled about what is going on, one clue is that in Capture One in the Lens Correction panel there is a drop down called Profile which for the X20 defaults to "From File" which leads me to believe there is some lens distortion correction data embeded in the .RAF file, can anyone confirm if this is so?

Also of interest is that RawDigger gives the file size as 4032x3012 while the pictures in both Lightroom and Capture One are 4000x3000. Also the final image crops in Lightroom and Capture One are very slightly different, Capture One crops a bit more off the edges of the picture in correcting the distortion than Lightroom, see the screen grabs below:

RawDigger output of basic RAW data.

The above is the RawDigger version, note the black object in bottom left corner and the door frame corner top left as a guide.

Next is the Lightroom version which has mysteriously corrected the distortion

Lightroom version import no processing

And finally the Capture One version

Capture One Version of Picture again noo processing.

Note the cropping of this final version is slightly greater than Lightroom but it is the same 4000x3000 pixle as the Lightroom version

-- hide signature --
 David Rosser's gear list:David Rosser's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC5 Fujifilm X20 Nikon D40 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
Fujifilm X20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow