Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,722Gear list
Like?
Sony Clarifies E-mount Naming and confirms A-mount committment
7 months ago

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/01/10/whither-nex-what-does-the-end-of-the-nex-moniker-mean-for-e-mount-fans

Found this via SAR

I have met Mark Weir... he very professional.. plays it close to the vest. But also listens.. We talked for a long time at PMA back in 2008, about the RAW NR in the A700.. he was making a case for it.. I made the simple argument. That no matter how good the NR is.. PC based software gets better and clean RAW gives us the ability to start from there and re-process with newer technology.

A few months later.. RAW NR = OFF was added to the A700.. making it a much better camera.. not just because of me talking of course.. but Sony listening even as they really thought they had created a solid new way of dealing with noise.

He is also a long-time Minolta shooter before Sony bought out the camera technology.. Very supportive of the system.

I will not when he says something like "our commitment to A-mount will become clear" that is placing a bit of stake I the ground. Mark is not one to use hyperbole loosely. Talked to him at a later PMA and in a few emails over the years.

That pretty much says to me.. the coming camera are not an A59...

"clear" means they plan to make a statement.

My interpretation is more than one camera, and at least one significant technology improvement.

One more note:

I know there was one SLT in 2013. So people infer stuff. I would note Nikon released only one DSLR in 2011. They did not walk away from DSLRs even though they released many P&S. And launched a new ICL camera system based on a new sensor size that year.

The rhythm of lower and upper level DSLR cameras can sometimes create a moment where only the yearly release happens in a year and the cameras that renew in 2-3 years all renew outside of that year. Sony didn't invent that..

http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/cameras?subcategoryId=cameras

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A77 Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +7 more
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow