Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DavidKennard
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
Did I kill my Vivitar 283?
6 months ago

The other day I was taking some photos with a Vivitar 283 flash, after a couple of flashes it let out a little puff of smoke and the light on the back went out (plus the whining noise stopped).

I'm wondering whether it's just died from old age, or whether I killed it. I use my Vivitar 283s with the auto thyristor module removed and the left 2 holes shorted with a piece of wire. I use a variable resistor in the right two holes, or leave them empty for full power. (When the flash died I was using it without the variable resistor).

I've used the flashes quite a bit with this setup with no problems during the summer, but now I'm wondering whether the variable resistor should always be kept in the right two holes to prevent damage? I seem to recall there is a ceramic capacitor in the auto thyristor module. Could this be important for keeping the flash going without problems?

I have tried opening the flash up, I can't see any components in the top half that are obviously gone. Unfortunately the screwdrivers I have are pretty rubbish and I haven't been able to open the bottom half of the flash to check in there.

Are there any issues with how I'm using the flash, or do you think it just died from old age?

Thanks

Dave

DavidKennard's gear list:DavidKennard's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-A1 +17 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow