ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,333Gear list
Like?
A walk through Petra, Jordan (pix)
8 months ago

Hey kids,

This week I arrived back in Malaysia after a 13-week backpacking trip through the Middle East and Africa. I've barely started sorting through the photos, but I thought I would share some shots from Petra, the famous archaeological site in Jordan, with some comments on the performance of my kit.

My camera body was the Olympus E-P3, and my "holy trinity" of lenses were the 12/2.0, 17/1.8 and 60/2.8 Macro.

Questions and comments are welcome.

This horseman is galloping from the entrance to the site to the siq.

The following shot shows a couple of horses and carts entering the siq. It shows the limited dynamic range of the E-P3, with blown highlights on the trail. I'm not sure a later-model camera would have fared much better though, as the contrast was brutal.

This is the siq, a narrow canyon that runs for several hundred metres towards the clearing dominated by the treasury. I had to do a bit of work with the raw file to recover highlights towards the top of the frame.

Exiting the siq, with the Treasury in the background. The sun had begun to stream down, blowing highlights at the top of the Treasury.

Here's a portrait of a young Bedouin girl in front of the Treasury. When I was flicking through my photos I thought this was taken with the 17/1.8. In fact, it was the 12/2.0,. The image has been only mildly cropped.

The 60/2.8 Macro proved to be a wicked telephoto for candids/portraits, although I often found it a touch long. I think the 45/1.8 might have been more useful.

With the sun out of the frame, the E-P3 was fine.

My missus, looking down on the Treasury.

Stock-standard environmental portrait of a Bedouin living in a lean-to above the Treasury.

The 12/2.0 in a low light situation.

I'll finish with a few more portraits at various focal lengths.

Once again, questions and comments are welcome

Regards,

Scott

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottkmacleod/
My kit: E-P3, 12/2.0, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, 7.5 Fisheye, 14-42 IIR, 40-150 ED, 75-300 II

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +10 more
Olympus PEN E-P3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow