How to shoot with manual lenses on the A7/r?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Miki Nemeth
Contributing MemberPosts: 557Gear list
Like?
Re: Native Sony flashes work exceptionally well with manual-focus (no-electronics) lenses on A7
In reply to DWMurf, 7 months ago

Hi David,

I went even further. Another friend photographer here on the forum wrote me that the A7 AUTO (exposure) mode works surprisingly well. I can confirm that AUTO mode works very well with manual-focus lenses along with native Sony flashes like the F20M, too. I never considered AUTO mode on any camera as a serious option. But, this weekend I gave my A7 to a friend, who had never heard of aperture, shutter speed, ISO before. I showed him how to use the manual focus ring on the Olympus OM 55mm/f1.2 lens, I set the aperture to 5.6 on the lens, the camera mode dial to AUTO, ISO to Auto ISO with the F20M flash on. With these settings he took a number of excellent shots outdoor and indoor alike. He told me that it was really fun how focus peaking helped him to make sharp images.

The lesson learned: even a total beginner can take excellent pictures with old/legacy manual focus lenses with Sony cameras.

Miki

Miki Nemeth's gear list:Miki Nemeth's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-A1 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow