Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RLH1861
Senior MemberPosts: 1,828
Like?
Upgrade blues
11 months ago

It has been 5 years since my last upgrade.  I know I am a real slouch compared to most of you.  I have the Canon 40D and also my old 20D.  both work.  I was at my favorite camera store and saw the 70D.   I understand from reviews that the 70D is not a major change from the 60D unless you are into the video or want the improvement in autofocus speed.

It seems that the drawback about he 60D versus my 40D is a slower burst speed (6.5 fps vs. 5.3) and the polycarbonate body vs. the 40D magnesium frame.

I bought the 40D refurbished from Adorama back in 2009.  It has worked very well and no regrets about the refurb.  I can get the 60D refurb from Canon with a 1 year warranty (same as new) for $575.   Plus my brother has a broken original Rebel sand under the loyalty program I can reduce the cost of the 60D to $450.

Iike shoooting birds in flight.  will the slower burst speed be a problem. I think the camera body issue is pure snobbishness as I have yet to drop my camera (famous last words).  I like that the 60D is lighter (by a small amount)  As i get older (now 62) lighter seems better.  Does the 60D have better weather seals than the 40D.

I would add that I have regretted not getting the 50D rather than the 40D because of the much higher mp on the 50D.  (maybe noisier too)

Any advise or comments greatly appreciated.  Or should I sell all the Canon DSLR bodies and lenses and get one of the highly rated new ILC's  (one with a viewfinder, i.e. not Canon)

thanks a lot.

-- hide signature --

RLH

Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow