Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DocTock993
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
D800 - Is this a problem with the camera
6 months ago

I first posted with questions about focus problems.

I appreciate a lot of the technique suggestions, and have adopted a faster shutter speed in favor of a higher ISO and am working on improving hand-held technique along with using a tripod a lot more than ever. In addition I learned that in the case of 2 of the lenses I was using on the D800, there were significant problems. My Nikon 105VR had an internal lens problem and the Tokina 17mm would not communicate correctly with the D800 and would not MF at all.

Over the past day I finally had the time to test/ calibrate my remaining prime lenses (Nikon 50 f1.8G, and Tokina 15 FE f2.8) using the Focal program.

While a consistent +4 AF-fine adjust was found for both lenses, a test of the 51 point AF sensor showed something.

I say "something" as I don't know if this is "problem" information, or just a slight variation in a sensor that should NOT influence images.

Again, my concern is, and always has been, a lack of "sharpness" in images. I want to be certain that there is not a camera or sensor issue lurking.

Focal was performed 3 times in a row, with the only change in exposure method (Center weighted, Spot, or Matrix). Camera was tripod mounted & lighting was incandescent.

Results were consistent throughout all exposure methods.

Does this mean anything?

Overall Focus Quality

Focus Point Detail

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow