Imac late 2013, Maverick, w/ fusion drive, possible usb problems.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bob Randall
Forum MemberPosts: 93Gear list
Like?
Imac late 2013, Maverick, w/ fusion drive, possible usb problems.
10 months ago

I recently purchased an iMac, late 2013 with 3tb fusion drive. In searching forums regarding a usb connection issue I may have, I notice many threads relating to a consistent issue with usb on this model.

This a pasted quote from Peter McLaren as posted in the Apple Support Community:

"For those still wrestling with USB bus freezes with iMac Late 2013 with Fusion drive and Mavericks, and who don't want to have to wait till OSX 10.9.2, I have found the utlity posted at this link way back on October 25th solves the problem:

http://www.enttec.com/support-center/kb/article/108-OS_X_Mavericks_(10.9)_-_IMPO RTANT

Not sure why this link has not been posted on this thread before!

As you will note from the associated page the author claims that Apple wrote their own USB driver in Mavericks and it has issues. The utility disables it, and reverts to a standard driver.

I have been running for 48 hours with this driver fix installed with zero issues. Previously with a USB hub connected to my iMac I would get an hour or so at best before a USB freeze.

As other have reported the issue is the USB bus. The CPU itself does not crash; the iMac is still accessible via screenshare or fileshare while the bus is frozen, but it does take a restart to clear the USB bus freeze.

Hope this helps relieve some frustration while we all wait for OSX 10.9.2."

This "solution" reverts the usb3 port back to a usb2 until the fix comes.  I have not done this nor will I as I don't want to mess with something that may not be an issue for me.  There are many threads regarding usb and connection issues but the one consistent one relates to only late 2013, iMac, Maverick's with fusion drives.

It is not my attempt to induce concerns, but there are just too many threads regarding this model with this issue.  I have not found any threads relating to this observation on dpreview so thought it may be helpful to bring forward.  No fear mongering intended, I just think that we are a curious bunch and should be aware.

Bob Randall's gear list:Bob Randall's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D3 Fujifilm X-Pro1
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow