Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Don_D
Forum ProPosts: 11,574Gear list
Like?
Do you eat veal?
3 months ago

"A strong animal welfare movement concerning veal started in the 1980s with the release of photographs of veal calves tethered in crates where they could barely move. After the release of these photographs, veal sales have plummeted, and have never recovered."

"While calves are young and most vulnerable to disease, they are kept in hutches, which keep them isolated and restrict movement so as to prevent connective tissue from developing, as the taste of veal raised in this manner is considered desirable.

Criticism of veal crates revolves around the fact that the veal calves are highly restricted in movement; have unsuitable flooring; spend their entire lives indoors; experience prolonged sensory, social, and exploratory deprivation; and are more susceptible to high amounts of stress and disease".

I must admit that I do eat veal, but I always have a pang of regret when I drive by a farm and see those little dog-house like veal houses where the calves are kept all of their short lives.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/dond
Don

Don_D's gear list:Don_D's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow