Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dicklaxt
Contributing MemberPosts: 510
Like?
BIF/Video with the SX50
7 months ago

I'm relatively new to photography and recently purchased a SX50. The following scenario exists.

I host a colony of Purple Martins in my backyard each year. This small migratory bird has been resident in my yard for eight seasons now. I offer them 36 nesting cavities and last season we (the birds and I) successfully fledged approximately 175 hatchlings. This bird has site fidelity and will return to the colony site each year but with a new mate, if they successfully raise their young and are not predated by hawks and snakes. They will normally abandon a nest/site when this condition exists or happens.

They are a joy to watch and are very fast acrobatic flyers. I would like some more BIF images but they are hard to capture, they being fast flyers and my lack of skills. I was wondering if I were to shoot videos with the SX50 when lighting conditions were optimal and then extract stills via editing software if this would be a viable approach.

The birds will start arriving the end of this month(January) from Brazil and will be in residence for about 4-6 months. I am retired so have plenty of time and batteries. Here's a couple of shots of this species taken with a S3is. Thanks for your thoughts.

dick

Adult male, the first returning male last year

Adult female

2nd year male

A male (dark plumage) and female

Getting vocal with his mate

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow