What can you actually control via smartphone?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
Impulses
Contributing MemberPosts: 848Gear list
Like?
Re: Wifi: Solution to what?
In reply to morepix, 8 months ago

IMO, the wifi I've seen on my one camera equipped with it totally qualifies as a solution in search of a problem. Bottom line so far: who needs it?

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

I use it all the time... Whether I'm taking a group shot with several friends or just trying to take a table shot with one other person, it's much simpler to grab my phone, open the app, tap, and then gain full control over the camera + a remote view than to bother a waiter/stranger and hope they have steady hands or don't cut my head off in composition...

I review photos on my phone/tablet all the time. One of the biggest selling points on the last two Panasonic cameras I've bought was being able to share photos immediately rather than waiting until I got home or shuffling the camera away while I took the phone out ever so often to take an (interior) photo just so I could text it or post it on Google+.

Even if immediate sharing isn't at the top of your list, being able to review photos on your larger/brighter phone or even tablet while you drive back, at the hotel if you're sans laptop, or even as you shoot can be quite enjoyable, for yourself or others. /shrug Maybe none of that is your cup of tea, but to say that it's a solution in search of a problem is pretty obtuse IMO.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow