ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MiWo
Regular MemberPosts: 438Gear list
Like?
60mm macro vs. 18-55mm on X-E1?
6 months ago

Hi All,

since I've purchased the X100s, my18-55mm hasn't seen the light of day. Now I have the chance to exchange the zoom for a like new 60mm macro with box and 6 months guarantee for no extra charge. This would give me a nice portrait/close-up lens with over a stop faster aperture compared to the zoom.

I already own the 55-200mm but it is quite heavy and big for times I want to travel light and don't need FL north of 100mm. Long term I also plan to get the 10-24mm, so the wide end will be covered eventually and in the mean time I can resort to the panorama feature of my X100s.

As far as I've seen from various tests and blogs, as well as from limited hands-on time with the macro it is much sharper compared to the zoom at it's tele setting. The focus speed and focus acquisition ratio was much worse, though. How is it with the newest FW updates? I'll be using the lens on a X-E1. Managed Fuji to bring the macro more less on par with the zoom in regards to AF?

Is there something else I should be aware of deciding between the two? I'm not talking FL flexibility obviously. Like I said, the X100s is now my go to camera and I mostly need something for portraits and/or a longer kit extension.

Thanks for your input!

Mike

-- hide signature --

MiWo's gear list:MiWo's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4 Apple iPad Mini Wi-Fi
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow