So what are you using and what do I need?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
treizi
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
So what are you using and what do I need?
10 months ago

So I've been browsing the threads and I'm pretty shocked at the edits that some of you are creating and also how fast it seems that you're able to provide them.  I understand that having skill with the software and talent does help but I'm hoping that I can get some recommendations on what I should invest into.  Also, for those that are popping in and helping with the quick edits to people's photographs - what are you using personally?

We just recently purchased a Nikon D7000 so admittedly, we're still trying to learn how to use the camera.  We're using a PC primarily but will probably add in a new Mac within the next year.  We have a Mac now with creative suite so I'm mildly familiar with PS, but it's 10+ years old but that computer is near death and won't accept any new software.

So we're not looking to spend a ton of money, nor are we hoping for miracles via editing, we'd just like to improve on decent shots we have or save ones that are a bit on the rough side.  Lightroom seems like the obvious choice but I recall using a trial a while back and thinking the actual editing tools were a bit basic.  Would pairing this up with Elements make for a good starting package?  I'd like to keep everything at or around $100 and PS's monthly charge doesn't seem like a good idea since we wouldn't be using it enough to warrant the cost.  I've also seen ACDSee and Corel mentioned (not familiar with either) and Gimp as a nice free option as well.  Not sure if it matters, but we try to shoot RAW+Jpeg but currently, without decent software, raw isn't doing much.  Here are a couple of shots that I'd like to use as examples of what we'd like to enhance and/or salvage -

Just had niece come in to the family - hoping to salvage some low light shots

Enhancing others

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AlsoNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow