Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
The Incredible Hoke
Contributing MemberPosts: 786
Like?
How Normal People Take Pictures
11 months ago

So I was at my local pack and ship place to send off several prints when they had a customer come in to get a passport shot. I was in the middle of a discussion about a 12x12 print sent to the UK that was going to cost me $68 for shipping so I was a bit distracted, but the transaction went something like this:

The clerk was using a tiny point and shoot that had an outline of the head and shoulders for the shot. I had a perfect view of the point and shoot screen and the resulting shots.

The clerk lined up the person for the head shot against white background, snapped the shot and said. "Why is the face so dark?" It was very dark.

She took it again with the same result and said the same thing. The face was so dark that he was unrecognizable.

The other clerk told her to make sure the camera was on A mode. She fixed it to A mode and shot it again. Pretty much the same result, really dark unrecognizable face.

At this point I said, "Your camera is being confused by the bright white background. It's trying to make everythig 18% grey, so the face is going to be underexposed b/c of your white background." They looked at me like I was from Mars. Then I said, "You should try to overexpose the shot to get a recognizable face."

The other clerk grabbed the camera and got the same result. I had finally got my UK fee down to $22 and in my head I just couldn't even figure out how they would make this piece of crap point and shoot understand how to properly take a shot. I just walked out and let them deal with it.

I probably should have tried harder to help, but those weird little point and shoot cameras are so annoying that I just didn't have the energy to begin to help them. I don't think that guy got his passport photo though...

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow