Canon's Image Stabilized Primes...why you need them...

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MichaelVadon
Contributing MemberPosts: 655
Like?
Canon's Image Stabilized Primes...why you need them...
9 months ago

I was in Italy and Italy is the photographers paradise. However, tripods were either discouraged or outright banned in some places. Even monopods were not allowed in some locations. I know Rome specifically had an ordinance which stated you must have a license to use a tripod so I used a monopod. Still there were two authority figures who approached me reasoning the monopod was a tripod. So you just spent an absurd amount of money on this Italian trip and they want you to go handheld. I made do with a Canon 24-70 zoom F4 Image Stabilized and used as many tricks in the book as I could to get sharp shots. While I got good photos, I really wanted great photos. On top of all this, carrying around the zooms was like carrying around bowling balls. It was getting very tiring.

So what is the solution? The image stabilized primes. After the Italy trip I purchased a Canon 24mm 2.8 IS. Its image quality is slightly better then the 24-70 2.8 II, but much lighter and compact. The image stabilization means you can lower the shutter speed down to at least 1/10th if not lower. The Digital Picture guy said he was able to get a half second handheld and still have a sharp shot.

I almost think that Canon was thinking of these Italian museums and churches which do not allow flash, tripods or even monopods at times. These image stabilized primes would have really done the job.

So if you want to go on a trip, lets say to Italy, and want to run and gun getting high quality shots then these image stabilized primes is where its at.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow