Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MVDH
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?
Need advise on close-up lens selection for my SEL18200
7 months ago

I realy like taking close-up photo's of little bugs, flowers, mushrooms and other interesting things that show up when I'm out in the field, such as on hiking & canoeing trips. I don't want to add the weight and volume of a dedicated macro lens to my hiking bag, so I'm considering a close-up lens to mount on my SEL18200 zoom lens. I'm thinking of the Canon 500D close-up lens. (willing to consder alternatives as well).

My question is: Which one should I get for my SE18200...and why?

SEL18200 has a filter tread size of 67 mm. Canon 500D comes in 52, 58, 72 and 77 cm thread size. So I guess I have to choose between 58 mm (costs Euro 80,=) or the 72 mm (costs Euro 125,=).

I guess 72 mm (for which I'll need a 67-72 step-up ring) is the "safest" way to go. This larger lens will less likely "block the view" and cause vignetting or something (don't know how to explain what I mean) and will probaly give sharper results at the edges (Not sure if this makes any sense at all..)

However, the 58 mm (for which I need a 67-58 mm step down ring) is 50% cheaper and will match better with the filter size of the SEL 50f18 which is high on my wishlist as well. My concern is that I'm not sure if the if this 58 mm close-up lens is large enough for use on the SEL18200. Will it block the view or cause vignetting? Will the sharpness at the edges be less than for the larger version?

So basically my question comes down to whether it makes sense to select the cheaper 58 mm 500D close up lens or whether I should go for the larger 72 mm version.

Appreciate your advise and recommendations.

MVDH's gear list:MVDH's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow