Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mermaidkiller
Regular MemberPosts: 337Gear list
Like?
Homemade Macro adapter makes 1:1 macro pictures
3 months ago

Last year I purchased extension rings on a flea market for using ordinary lenses as macro lenses, but these extension rings have problems with the bayonet as they sometimes cannot be released properly. To prevent damage to my brand new 6d or lens I abandoned these and made a simple plastic one myself made from rear lens cap and body cap.

Just a 40mm PVC plumbing tube of 75mm long, a body cap, a rear lens cap and PVC glue is enough. When glued together (and cured enough which takes several hours) it is an excellent extension tube.

Using the 24-105 f/4L (zoomed in to 105) I could achieve nearly 1:1 and with the 50mm 1.5:1.

To squeeze the aperture something is simple: mount the lens on the camera normally, select Av, set to f/8, press the DOF preview and simultaneously unmount the lens, so the aperture ring keeps 'frozen' at f/8 (until you remount it normally).

Then mount it again with the extension ring. Of course, AF and aperture control won't work, so use MF. When on P or Av, the camera sets the exposure, otherwise this must be done manually as well. Aperture will show 00.

Photos were taken with CFL light at ISO 12500, AWB and f/8 (ISO 12500 works well on a 6d).

The 24-105 f/4L mounted with homemade extension ring.

Orange with 50mm

Galaxy Note 2 display with 105mm

Ruler with 105mm: 30mm wide so 1:0.8

Ruler with 50mm so 1:0.6

Ricoh KR-5 ... Pentax ME Super ... Canon T90 ... ... ... 40d ... 7d ... 6d

mermaidkiller's gear list:mermaidkiller's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +3 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow