Olympus still hopeful. Is MILC a serious alternative for DSLR?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,716Gear list
Like?
Re: I, for one, agree with your premise.
In reply to HappyVan, 3 months ago

I, and several of my serious photographer friends own DSLR's and have little to no interest in MILC, although we all own several Fixed Lens Cameras (FLC's for short).

First off, the smaller and lighter bodies of the MILC's become a moot point when you add lenses.  And if you add a large, heavy lens, the handling and balance is quite bad.  You can adapt a Sony G series 70-210 f/2.8 lens to a NEX 5, but it looks ridiculous and feels worse in the hand.  It's definitely a combination that needs an EVF.  So people with larger, heavier lenses really do want to stay with a larger heavier body with an eye-level finder.  At least the size and weight of a Canon 60D or a Nikon 7100.  But just having the eye-level finder is not enough as it doesn't address grip size and body weight for handing and balance.

Second, having interchangeable lenses can be a selling point; but it's also a bit of nuisance, and certainly an extra expense.  I want portability in my "other" cameras.  So I use a Canon G15.  It has a smaller sensor; but has a fast lens (f/1.8-2.8); so higher ISO and the attendent noise is seldom needed.  It's slim enough to fit in a shirt pocket, and rides comfortably in a trousers pocket.  At 28-140 it's considerably longer than the compact kit lenses on the MILC's.  Image quality is good enough at ISO 800 for a borderless 8.5" x 11" print.  An MILC might be better; but the G15 is good enough, cheaper, smaller and lighter.  And if I need it, there's still my DSLR.

There have been quite a few really nice premium FLC's recently.  The Nikon P7800 & P7700,  Canon G15 & 16, Canon G1x, Canon S series, the Sony RX1, RX100, RX100 II, and RX10, Olympus XZ-2 and Stylus 1, Panasonic LX7, Fuji X100s and X20, and so on.  They make really good and convenient alternatives to an MILC.

Taken together, those two points pretty well explain why the MILC's have not eroder the DSLR market, and why they are not thriving at the expense of the premium FLC's.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow