extremely affordable 4k (aka UHD) 28" displays coming as companion to your MP or rMBP

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,956
Like?
Re: extremely affordable 4k (aka UHD) 28" displays coming as companion to your MP or rMBP
In reply to Mark VerMurlen, 8 months ago

Mark VerMurlen wrote:

I think that the reason that Apple hasn't come out with their own new 27" or 28" monitor to replace the 27" Thunderbolt Display is because these screen resolutions are not ideal for the Mac. Apple's "retina" technology really only works with 2X resolution factors. Other scale factors are artificially create in Mac OS X by scaling a larger image down or a smaller image up, which results in fuzzy images.

So the current 3840 x 2160 panels display the UI too small at native resolution and too big at 2X retina resolution (1920 x 1080 equivalent). What Apple really needs is a 5120 x 2880 panel so that at 2X retina resolution, it displays the UI at the equivalent of today's 2560 x 1440 Thunderbolt panels. However, none of those exist yet.

I have a retina MacBook Pro that I use at work all day and to me, retina does make a discernible different in the readability of the text and icons on screen. I also have a new Mac Pro on order (6 Core, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD, D500s), but I'm going to wait to buy a high res monitor for it. Instead what I've done is buy a used Apple 27" LED Cinema Display off Craigslist. When Apple or NEC or some other good brand brings out a 5120 x 2880 panel, I'll replace it with that.

The closest you can get today is a 4K 24" monitor which in HiDPI mode gives the working space of a 1980 x 1080 (which is a bit less than normal 24" monitors, usually 1980 x 1080 is used for 23" monitors).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow