Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
macsoft4
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
Help me give up JPEG and work with RAW.. Lightroom related.. :S
6 months ago

I work with JPEGs for a long time. I tried for several times to start working with RAW from my NEX 7, and I'm now doing another attempt. Problems so far?

Well first thing I noticed was RAW files looked a lot duller than the JPEGs  straight from the camera.

That happens in OSX Preview, or any program. So I started learning LightRoom (only used Photoshop so far), and found out there were presets made to resemble the cameras JPEG colors.

Then I found out that RAW don't have the lens barrel distortion and chromatic aberration corrected like JPEGS do... OK Lightroom 4 does have the option for correctiong it.

Problem is.. with all that done, JPEG still looks better than RAW!

Check the pics: on the left a JPEG straight from the camera (Vivid). On the right a RAW file with the VIVID profile (RGB corrected to match the JPEG), and with the lens correction for the 18-55 lens.

Still the JPEG as more definition! Notice the lips and the eye, look blurry on the right...

I know you can do so much more to tweak the image still... But is this normal? having to do so much to resamble the quality of the cameras JPEG, and still not getting it? It it much worst to start with the JPEG and start my work from there?! :S

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow