My 20mm 1.7 has a very curved field of focus - normal?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shirozina
Regular MemberPosts: 310
Like?
My 20mm 1.7 has a very curved field of focus - normal?
11 months ago

I've had it over a year now but it hardly gets used as I don't find it's edge resolution very good. In the center it's exceptionally good - astonishing in fact. For wide open portraits it's ideal but for landscape the edges are 'mush' compared to the centre. I was reassessing it the other day and noticed that while the edges of shots were soft in the distance the foreground at the edges were very sharp. It also has a tendency to front focus or rather my GH3 has a tend any to front focus with this lens but even when I switch to MF and make sure it's focused on a >50m target then objects at the edge of the frame a few m away are razor sharp and behind them distant objects are out of focus. Is this field curvature a normal characteristic of this lens or do I have a poor sample? It's at present  in my clearance box destined for eBay.........

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow