The difference in Resizing Options between software. . .

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,440
Like?
The difference in Resizing Options between software. . .
11 months ago

This question is related to another resizing question in this forum, but different enough that I think it needs its own thread rather than having a hijack attempt of the original thread.

The discussion in that thread centered around the differences in the resizing methods found in Photoshop, particularly the differences between Bicubic Smoother, and Bicubic Sharper.

This made me curious since I don't use Photoshop, I use ACDSee Pro 7 with an occasional assist from Paintshop Pro X6, and I never really thought about resizing much. I just assumed that whatever the default was in those two programs would probably be good enough. And for my limited resizing needs, they have been good enough for me to not notice any resizing failures.

However, I investigated what my options are in those two programs and I was surprised to find that the method options in them are different from that of Photoshop, at least they are possibly named differently.

When I did an internet search on the topic, all I found was either mathmatical formulae, or vague advice like "use Bicubic Smoother for enlarging and Bicubic sharper for downsizing". Which is useful for Photoshop users, I guess, but rather irrelevant for my question

In ACDSee, the resizing method options are:

"Resampling method

Use this option to determine the method used to resize (resample) the image:

● Box: Displays considerable tiling or jaggies when you resize an image.

● Triangle: Produces good results for image reduction and enlargement, but displays sharp transition lines.

● Bicubic: Produces good results with photo-realistic images and with images that are irregular or complex. Uses interpolation to minimize the raggedness normally associated with image expansion.

● Bell: Smoothes the image.

● B-spline: Produces smooth transitions, but may cause excessive blurring.

● Lanczos: Produces the sharpest images, but may also introduce some ringing artifacts.

● Mitchell: Produces smooth transitions when enlarging photo-realistic images. This filter is good compromise between the ringing effect of Lanczos and the blurring effect of other filters.

● ClearIQZ: Slower than Bicubic and Lanczos, but produces the best results when enlarging photos, especially those of people." (Taken from the ACDSee Pro 7 Help file - Thanks ACDSee, but you spelled 'Smoothes' wrong.)

PSP X6 has yet a different set of options. Since I will likely use ACDSee for my resizing needs, naturally I will use the ACDSee advice unless these options just don't work for me. But I'm curious, do any of these relate to the Photoshop options? Are they just different names for the same things? Or is resizing one of those features that Software companies compete over and provide us fuel for endless arguments on these forums? If so, I can't wait for the name calling to begin!

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Fine Art Flyover Country:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/2505841@N22

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow