ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yesman12
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?
CES 2014
11 months ago

Hi All

I was at CES this week (for business) but on thelast day i had time to look around and went to the camera area....

Ricoh-Pentax

Nice colorful wall display of the Q and K500 but I would have like to see a more serious display of the serious K3 and 645D (see below on Canon).  Kerrick James was there and was pretty interactive with people, acting as a sales rep. I also met with product manager who was very knowledgeable and also very good with customers.  I learned some tricks about using the K3/5.

The Q7 seemed to get a lot of attention as did the 645 D (the extremes) but most consumers thought the 645 was huge (what would you expect).  
The product manager showed me image comparison of the Ricoh GR and the Canon 70D with a 28mm lens and the Ricoh outperformed it (nice little lens).  I also played with the Q7 and the MX and to be honest, while the MX is very nice, The Q7 is smaller, more versatile and yet maintains the same sensor.

I of course asked about FF and based on the response (there are plans but the market has to be better). I am not holding my breath.  Too Bad.

I got to play with the 20-40 LTD.  Nice construction and size but to be honest, I think the Sigma 18-35 ( i also got to play with that at the Sigma booth) would be the way I go given the faster aperture and better range.

Canon

Had a very impressive booth with a grandstand of cameras on tripods with long lenses for users to use.  I was very impressed.  In addition, they spent considerable amount of booth space showing their lens technology and design.  I think Pentax, who prides itself on lens esp. Limited, could do a better job here.  For example, The Limited series with HD coating should be actively promoted.  (why better? explain the coatings and resistance to flare.  Show the Bokeh advantage).  But the cameras are really big...

Sigma

I played with the 18 - 35f1,8 Nice lens.  They have a display of cameras with a rep who offers lenses to put on Nikon, Canon and Sigma cameras..> the Pentax camera was not on display and when I ask to see the 18-35 on a pentax 1) They were not even aware that the 18-35 is being produced for kmount.. but they then corrected me stating that availability is out a few months. 2) they then pulled out the k30 from under the counter and had dig around for the 35 f14 art lens in K mount.. Bottom line. Nice lenses but they really did not seem to promote the kmount.

-- hide signature --

A picture is worth a thousand words but talk is cheap.
Best regards
Nick

yesman12's gear list:yesman12's gear list
Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited
Canon EOS 70D Pentax 645D Pentax K-30 Pentax K-500 Pentax K-m (K2000) Pentax Q7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow