Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
xtoonice
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 vs Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8
10 months ago

Has anyone tried both lenses side by side? I am waiting for more reviews of the 70200G2 but I don't think that there are many people who have used it, let alone people who have used it and the Sigma.

My main motivation for looking at those lenses is for shooting portrait in instances where I do not have full control over the distance I am from the subject (usually). I may use it for landscapes in stance where I want to zoom into something in that focal range (e.g. sunset/rise).

My dilemma, is that right now, and for a good while yet, I still be sticking to my A65. I am still undecided about going full frame. My primarily lens is the Sony 16-50mm f/2.8. So from a focal range perspective the Sigma makes a lot of sense.

Had the Sigma been a bit lighter and smaller, and/or come with water sealing, I probably would've gone for it (and even paid a bit more). As it is though, it matches the weight and size of a standard full frame 70-200mm without the option of using on a full frame (getting it would probably guarantee that I stick to APS-C). So the main (and significant) advantage, is that it is half the price. In fact, less than half the price of the G2, I could probably afford a good prime with it.

The Sony 70-200mm would allow me to use it on a full frame body if I go down that path, but in the short term, it leaves me a gap in focal range. One that is useful in portrait. I do like the fact that the G2 is weather sealed, and had it been released to more closely match the price of other  first party 70-200mm lens, I might've pulled the trigger. As it is, the G2 would need to have some really good reviews in the line of the 70-400mm G2 or drop in price a little.

But leaving the focal length and price difference aside (in the end, it is up to me to make the decision based on my priorities), how does the 70-200mm compares to the 50-150mm for the other usual criteria (bokeh, sharpness etc.)? Especially on a cropped body.

Last question, if I was to jump ship, or buy the 70-200mm on a different system (I wouldn't mind having two bodies anyway), does the CaniKon have something that is quite like the 16-50mm f/2.8? What do they use as a fast short zoom?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow