Olympus still hopeful. Is MILC a serious alternative for DSLR?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 2,453Gear list
Like?
Re: Not sure what your point is?
In reply to HappyVan, 6 months ago

HappyVan wrote:

Jim Salvas wrote:

Yes, and in 1984 PC columnists were saying the mouse was the reason the Macintosh would fail. After all, it had such a small share of the market.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

As I recall, PC eventually annihilated Mac because Apple stuck to a premium price policy and limited add-on.

With the return of Steve Jobs, Mac was resurrected as HIP. But, Apple's current prominence is based on their mobile communication devices. Currently, PC is still the overwhelming favourite for desktop computing.

Gotta remember that most startups fail rather quickly. To demonstrate success, startups must maintain momentum and get to the point where they can go toe-to-toe with the industry biggies.

My point is that MILC has not achieved success against either compact cameras or DSLR. The question is why?

Lets not confuse brands with formats though. Apple vs IBM is not the same as reflex vs mirrorless. What if Nikon and Canon unveiled a brand new mirrorless to replace their DSLR lines, tomorrow, and never made another DSLR. Then what?

I think the problem is some people, maybe you, are in support for a particular brand and that brand just happens to be pure. So you think you are supporting a format, since Canikon is very much a pure DSLR segment, but you have mistaken a brand for a format. This isn't about going from apple to IBM, it's about going from pencils to computers. This is beyond a brand, and all brands will eventually succumb to mirrorless. Canon Nikon and Pentax just happen to be taking longer than the rest.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes.New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow