Superb - massively under-rated.

Started 3 months ago | User reviews thread
Dougbm_2
Regular MemberPosts: 180Gear list
Like?
Re: Another in agreement.
In reply to Year77, 3 months ago

Year77 wrote:

I purchased a G1-X back in May from Microcenter for $629 which at the time was not a bad price. I took it on a trip to Utah and shot about 367 images before I returned it for a refund. This was not because I didn't like the camera. I thought, after all the phony-baloney bad reviews that the price would drop like a rock, so I got a refund and I thought I would save a hundred or so dollars when I bought it back. It has taken quite a while for the price to come down to $550, which is surprising. Canon is sticking to their guns on this one unlike Panasonic and Olympus who drop the price of a new camera so fast, it makes your head spin. This is bad for them because it destroys the resale value of the cameras purchased by folks at the inception and defers sales as countless people now wait for the inevitable price drop from these two manufacturers, especially Panasonic. Canon and Sony have basically decided they are going to hold firm on their good cameras.

Since I returned my G1-X, I went through half a dozen or so cameras including a Panasonic GX-1, Olympus E-PL5, Panasonic G5, Sony NEX-5N, Sony Nex-3N, Sony RX100, Fuji XF-1, Canon G15, Canon SX50HS, Nikon S9400, Canon S100 and a Canon S100 which I still own. I am currently shooting with a Canon EOS M, another fine camera that got phoney-baloney bad reviews.

After shooting many hundreds of pictures with all those cameras since I had the G1-X, my impression is this: I want my G1-X back! I'm not going to rehash what is so wonderful about this camera, that is well documented now. It's minor misgivings are a non-issue for me as most of my work is landscape and travel although, in the right hands, the G1-X is capable of much more.

Here's my question; Looking around the compact camera landscape, is there a better camera than the G1-X for the price? The Fujifilm X100S would be a good choice but, it's much more money and has a fixed focal length lens.

The fuji's significant advantage is the OVF/EVF. That is a major weakness with Canon compacts and their poor OVFs.

So here's a random landscape shot of the Silver Island Mountain Range (I believe) near the Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah. The first shot is fully zoomed at 60mm and the second is a 1:1 crop. A not so special image that does show off the detail available in a G1-X capture. Of course, I shoot RAW and do some mild tweaking but it's not far from a possible OOC JPEG:

Cheers!

Dougbm_2's gear list:Dougbm_2's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow