Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,636Gear list
Like?
Sensational legacy lenses on A7r
8 months ago

I have been procuring and testing different legacy lenses for my A7r.

Here is a quick list of the best. I should post some photos with it and I can do that later.

1. Canon 70-200mm F4 L (no IS). Wow. This lens is sensational. It cost $600. A real bargain. I just need a good adapter. It may be worth getting the smart adapter for using this lens alone. Always wanted a good 70-200 F4 and was going to get the Nikon one. Beautiful.

2. Zeiss 28-85mm Contax Yashica F3.5. Amazingly razor sharp. Minor CA in the edges easily removed. So so sharp. A bit big and heavy but wow.

3. Contax g Zeiss 45mm F2. Really small and light, beautiful warm colours and super sharp. It seems to suit the A7r more than it did on the Fuji XE1 where its also a nice lens. Fotodiox adapter, needs a good adapter as its a bit tricky to mount.

4. Minolta Rokkor MD 50mm F1.4. Terrific colour and rendering and great bokeh. Superb.

5. Canon FD 85mm F1.8. Lovely bokeh and colour. A great portrait lens.

6. Not legacy but the Zeiss FE 35mm F2.8 is a great all rounder. Not terrific bokeh but everything works well - great color, very sharp, a very good all round lens.

7. Nikon 14-24mm F2.8ED. After an initial scare it was no good on this camera it boiled down to the adapter. I got the Novoflex adapter and with careful testing side by side with D800E and using the lens compensation app on the A7r I was able to get very slightly better results on the A7r compared to D800e with this lens which I am very happy about.  I expected worse performance as correct flange distance etc seems more critical with this lens. The Novoflex adapter made all the difference in the world. I was surprised the Metabones one (with no aperture ring) was such a fail. Bad distortion in the last 20% of the sides of the images. Chinese ebay one was little better and useless.

Greg.

Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow