Visited Sony Showroom in Costa Mesa, CA...

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kartikjayaraman
Contributing MemberPosts: 550Gear list
Like?
Visited Sony Showroom in Costa Mesa, CA...
9 months ago

So after giving some thoughts about which body I needed to upgrade my A500 from, I visited the Sony Showroom in Costa Mesa, California. Their showroom is pretty good and staff is great and helping (although us forum users are more updated on what is going to come from Sony :D)

I got a chance to hold and click a few pics using the E mounts - NEX 6, A7 as well as got a chance to see and hold the A99 and A58 for the first time. Here are my opinions:

• I did not like any of the E mounts. The NEX 6 viewfinder was a royal pain to use for some reasons. The A7 felt like a lens-heavy small-to-hold camera. Still the A7 build was better than the NEX.
  • The A99 was much bigger than I thought. With the Zeiss 24-70 lens attached, it was VERY heavy. Definitely a Pro camera, not for me to do my everyday shooting.
  • The A58 felt great to hold and had most of the features I was looking for - a decent EVF, AEB up to +-3  [3 frames]  (much better than the almost unusable +-0.7 on the A65 which is supposed to be an upgrade over the A58) - Why Sony cripples some bodies is something I cant understand.
  • The guy at the showroom said since the E mount cameras were launched, they rarely sold an A mount body. The E mount bodies, especially the NEX 6 was selling well. The A7 was doing good too. But they pointed out the weakness of the A7 kit lens

I finally HAD to order a camera to replace my A500 (which is now pretty much gone). So I went ahead and ordered the A58 for $378. Hopefully it will give me better dynamic range than my A500 and the EVF will help. And then I will wait for the A mount successor and buy it in 6 months or so and use the A58 as a second body. I am also trying to get a used 16-50 lens to add to my arsenal.

Thanks to everyone on the forum, especially KEH, nandbytes, Brian and Tom (tbcass) for providing valuable inputs and their expertise for answering my questions all along.

-- hide signature --
 kartikjayaraman's gear list:kartikjayaraman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha DSLR-A500 Sony SLT-A58 Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow