Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeNannie
Regular MemberPosts: 423Gear list
Like?
Best Photoshop Enlargement Technique
9 months ago

I want to have a canvas print made that's 24x36 inches. I'm curious about the best way to enlarge the file to get to that size. I work in Lightroom 4 and PS CS5.

The printer has told me that a resolution of 150 is all that's needed and anything higher doesn't really improve the print.

I shot the original with my Sony a580, and it's raw file is 16 mb, cropped to 4168 x 2770. See the screen shot below.

In the past, I enlarged a similar family portrait photo by using the image size screen, adding about 10% at a time, then selecting 'bicubic smoother', and clicking Okay. I think I read somewhere, and can't remember where, that adding just 10% to the size with each iteration will give you the best results. My first attempt doing so created a pretty good canvas print, to my eye anyhow. But, I'm wondering if that is the best method.

Thoughts?   Thanks Mike

this is the original size.

MikeNannie's gear list:MikeNannie's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow