Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Super16mman
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?
Homemade Digital Camera?
7 months ago

I hear a lot of film photographers talking about how film is going to be gone soon, and how they're planning to make their own when it does go away. That started me thinking: if we suddenly had no access to digital cameras, could we make our own?

If you read or watch old sci-fi, one of the hilarious ideas is that, in the future, even children will be smart and tech-savvy enough to construct computers from scratch. What sci-fi authors and filmmakers didn't realize is that the way we'd get to where we are nnow technologically is through hundreds of micro processes. It takes hundreds of people creating hundreds of minute devices to make one digital camera. It would be virtually impossible for an individual to have the knowledge and tools to build everything necessary for even the cheapest digital camera you can buy at a Walgreens. I found a guy online who made his own video camera from scratch, but I immediately realized he was just patching together parts made by large companies that he ordered online.

I wonder if we'll ever get to the place where we are smart enough, or the tech is simple enough to build DIY digital cameras. It's fun to think about. Anyone have any thoughts? Has anyone here tried making a digital camera from scratch, or at least from small parts?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow