Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Adrian Tung
Senior MemberPosts: 2,817Gear list
Like?
A 28mm conundrum
7 months ago

So for this year, I want to pick up a 28mm and get myself more proficient with this focal length. However, I am still undecided on which route to take...

Here are my options:

1) a native lens

Here I am considering either the ZM Biogon or CV Ultron; I am not considering either Summicron or Elmarit until I at least have tried and gotten comfortable with the FL. Also it doesn't really matter which lens I get now, it's more of the pros and cons:

pros: I get to use a native lens on the M240

cons: It means I need to remove my favourite lens, the 50 lux asph, whenever I use the 28mm

2) a micro four thirds lens

I also have a Panasonic GX7, so my other option is to get the 14/2.5 (that seems to be the only native option).

pros: I get to keep my favourite lens on my M240

cons: The 14/2.5 is, from the reviews I read, just "good enough" but not really excellent. There's also the problem of uncorrected distortion which Capture One Pro currently doesn't support (GX7 support is still in preliminary stage, the lens corrections tab is disabled for this camera).

3) the Ricoh GR

Now this is a very interesting option. I have read very good things about the GR; it is also small enough that it practically doesn't really occupy any space in the bag alongside my M240.

pros: small, compact, high quality

cons: yet another set of accessories and batteries to manage

I should mention that all three options are roughly within the same price range, which is why I am having trouble making a decision right now.

So, if you were in my shoes, what inconvenience would you pick? The inconvenience of swapping lenses, having less-than-excellent performance, or having more crap to juggle in the bag? First world issues, I know...

Adrian Tung's gear list:Adrian Tung's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Canon EOS 10D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +11 more
ANSWER:
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow