extremely affordable 4k (aka UHD) 28" displays coming as companion to your MP or rMBP

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,527Gear list
Like?
extremely affordable 4k (aka UHD) 28" displays coming as companion to your MP or rMBP
6 months ago

The Verge  has summed up the current available information.

In short (what differs):

1. DELL Dell P2815Q at 599.- USD available 23rd January and only 30 Hz at any port including display port
  2. Asus PB287Q at 799.- USD available in Q2 '14 1ms response time per pixel
  3. Lenovo ThinkVision Pro2840M at 799.- USD available April '14 with 10 bit support
  4. Philips 288P6 at 1,199.- USD in spring '14 also with 10 bit support

What they (seem) to have in common:

• new optimized 28 inch TN display with up to 10 bit / RGB color support 170° vertical and 160° horizontal viewing angle
  • some 70-80 W power consumption
  • built in speakers (except the DELL)
  • 60 Hz support at 3840x2160 pixel (except the DELL with 30 Hz only)
  • HDMI and Display port plus USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 connections
  • roughly 72 % NTSC color space - aka sRGB
  • 3840x2160 pixel native support resulting in 157 ppi
  • rather thin design
  • 1st affordable below 1 k USD UHD displays

For me the Lenovo Pro2840M seems to be the most attractive offering with a really cool design (reminding me of the Apple Cinema Display 27" (which I own) with a slightly smaller size being 1 inch wider in viewing area offering 3x USB 3.0 plus 2 x USB 2.0 plus HDMI 1.4 plus DP plus mDP.

At the given price target I am sure it's likely to see a street price below making it even more attractive if you happen to own any of the new MACs.

Macs that support 4k (aka UHD):

• Mac PRO late 2013 at 60 Hz and 10 bit per RGB color via DP and 30 Hz via HDMI
  • retina Mac Book Pro 13 and 15 inch late 2013 at 30 Hz on mDP and HDMI

The TN panels are a bit of a caveat for quality fetishists not offering the utmost image quality like IPS or IGOZ and a rather small color space of sRGB equivalent.

Some personal remarks:

That said at the given price point I am personally willing to buy an intermediate 4k display and sell it as soon as an affordable wide gamut 4k display appears.

For 799.- USD list price and a possible strew price of maybe 700 USD and equivalent 800 EUR (remember the tax in Europe) it is IMHO a no-brainier if you happen to have a MAC PRO.

The first reviewers stated that the image quality of the Lenovo is stunning. 28 inch seems to be just the right size being able to roughly match at a normal viewing distance the resolution of the human eye. The TN panels are optimized and the viewing angle seems to be larger then previous generations. 10 bit support is great for calibration purposes preventing from posterization effects.

The GPUs in the new Mac PRO support 10 bit / RGB color (differing from the consumer gaming GPUs that are often compared as similar) and I would not wonder if the OS 10.9.x will support 30 bit soon or in Summer 2014 maybe 10.10 will fully support it - my guess is it will be included in one of the next OS maintenance releases.

I am looking forward to the first in depth reviews and I hope I will get my new Mac PRO together with a 4k display - and who knows - maybe Apple is doing a nice 28 inch Cinema Display as well?

Let me know your thoughts

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
if you start to fight with a pig you'll end up mud-wrestling - the only difference is the pig will like it

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow