Struggling with wireless TTL flash (SD15)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Antone
Contributing MemberPosts: 734
Like?
Struggling with wireless TTL flash (SD15)
9 months ago

I've had an EF 610 DG Super for about a year now and I've only used it mounted on my SD15, where it's worked perfectly fine. I want to get off-camera so I can do some studio work (portraits for the most part). So tonight I set down to sort out the wireless TTL and I am having a problem with it. If I bounce off the ceiling or wall the exposure seems pretty good.

Ceiling bounce flash with EF 610 DG Super on SD15

However, if I shoot directly at the subject it's dramatically overexposed and unrecoverable.

Direct flash with EF 610 DG Super on SD15

The distance of the flash to subject is about 6 feet.

To set the flash, I mounted it on the camera and set the aperture of the 17-50 to f/5.6, pressed the shutter button half way and the flash registered f/5.6. I turned the camera and flash off, then removed the flash, turned it back on and put it in wireless TTL mode (blinking red light). I turned the camera back on and set it to wireless flash mode, raised its built-in flash. Both the flash and the camera were set to channel 1.

Any idea what I'm missing here? Eventually, this will be through a  60" Softlighter II so this may not matter. I am also planning to use my old Sigma 500 DG Super (for Canon EOS) as a second flash. Of course, no TTL for that, but I am hopeful that I can wirelessly trigger the flashes in manual mode.

-- hide signature --

Tony-S

Sigma SD15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow