Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
shigzeo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,328Gear list
Like?
Initial impressions of the XF 35/1,4
9 months ago

It's huge! I'm coming from Nikkor Ai and LTM/M lens land, so any inbuilt-motor lens seems huge, but this 35 is a monster. And it looks like an SLR lens, which is funny on the X-Pro 1. Thanks to it being somewhat light, it handles well, though I'm not used to the feel of helicoidless focus. It is very strange and unnatural.

My wife is inheriting the X-Pro 1 and I will likely pick up the rumoured SLR X camera for event use. Outside of school/sport/wedding photography for a local studio, I've not had much experience with autofocus lenses. My wife's 35/1,8 Nikkor focused faster than the XF does, but not by much. It seemed to lock on to exactly what I want it to, though.

I've not tested it in any way other than to put it next to my favourite 35, the Canon 35/2 LTM (a lens from the 1950's). The Canon is about 1/4 or less the volume of the Fuji. I cannot wait to see the XF 35 on the SLR-like body, where I think its SLR-like design cues will really fit in.

I have one comparative image and have written a little more about it here.

shigzeo's gear list:shigzeo's gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow