Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fotolopithecus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?
The philosophy of features, vs bells & whistles
10 months ago

I'll just say it straight out from the start of this thread. I think 90% of the "features added to DSLR's are bells & whistles, added by camera makers to entice "features" aficionados, and gadget freaks into buying cameras. There are literally feature freaks on these forums who never saw a feature they didn't like, and in my opinion they have high jacked cameras away from people who like just taking pictures. You can never have too many buttons, wheels, dials, menus, and trap doors leading nowhere seems to be the motto of these folks.

Now I know what's going to happen here. The bells & whistles crowd is going to rush in , and insist that their features improve their photography, and that they couldn't  do without whatever their favorite bell of the moment is. I say, BULL! if anything "most of these features only serve to unnecessarily complicate, cheapen, and distract rather than enhance picture taking.

If you are a features aficionado I'll bet you can't get enough bells & whistles on anything you buy, be it a TV, smart phone, computer, car, whatever. I bet your one of the folks that sits next to other people you could be talking to while playing games, or talking to someone not there on your Iphone. I'll bet most of you wouldn't know how to differentiate a truly useful feature (and they're relatively few) from a completely useless one. Why? because you're not really into photography, your into toys.

Now that I've whacked the hornets nest let the fun begin.

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Wow.New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow