Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dom K
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
New A77 - backfocus frustration
6 months ago

So my A77 and DT 16-50 arrived today (an ex-display model from eBay), and despite loving almost everything about the camera instantly, it's practically unusable because it is back-focussing to a ridiculous degree. When I noticed I thought it was no problem and dialed in -20 to AF micro adjust - but saw almost no improvement.

Here are some quick samples. In all cases I was aiming to focus on the near edge of the piece of paper.

This is the image I got before performing any micro-adjustments.

Some 100% crops:

Where I focussed

Where the camera focussed.

After I applied -20 AF microadjust:

Where I focussed

Where the camera focussed.

Finally, when I focussed manually (which as an aside is an absolutely wonderful experience on the A77 - night and day compared to my A200) I got this:

100% crop of the focus target.

These are all with the kit 16-50 @ 50mm f/2.8, but I tried it with my Sony 50/1.8 and got similar results, so it seems the problem lies with the camera rather than the lens.

Now the camera is covered by a 12-month warranty by the seller, and I got a pretty good deal (£850 GBP for the kit), so I would rather try to get it fixed than just return it. I'm fairly sure I'm going to have to send it in to Sony or someone else to have it readjusted, but I thought it might be worth asking here first in case there is something else I can do without having to send it off just after receiving it.

I would point out that when the camera and lens arrived it was practically ice-cold to the touch, causing condensation to form on the front of the lens when I brought it into my warm house; could that have had any effect? Note that the above images where taken after the camera had been in the hosue at a stable temperature for several hours.

I feel really quite demoralised after getting so excited about it arriving today, but hopefully I can get it fixed without too much fuss.

Any help/advice is appreciated, whether regarding a manual solution or advice in terms of getting it sent away to be fixed.

Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow